Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year, New Lists

I am not sure why, but while the new year season seems to bring numerous lists in the media of the year past, it makes me want to start lists for the new. Maybe it is because of thinking of all the things I did not keep track of the last year, I want to start new and keep better track.

This is particularly true of my days. I feel motivated to have a journal, to use my day planner, to set some goals. When I look back on the journals that I do have, January is the month with the most entries by far.

Well one list I do want to keep this year is a list of books read.

First entry: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby. This man suffered a stroke of some kind affecting his brain stem that left him without control of his body. (Reference locked-in syndrome). His means of communicating became by blinks of his left eye. By those means he was able to write a book.

In his last visit with his father before his stroke, he remembers giving him a shave. Now himself being the subject of being given shaves, he hopes that he was gentle with his father. He also reflects on how his over 90 year old father has his own "diving bell" of his apartment, due to stairs, frailty etc. His father cannot really come to visit him, so their most direct contact is the few words his father speaks over the phone.

His "butterfly" is how his mind can let him soar in memory and imagination.

I enjoyed this book, most especially how it served as a springboard for me to ponder. How happy I am to be able to give and receive hugs from my kids today!

Well, happy new year to all. Fill it with wonderful things.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a wonderful book. Perhaps I'll read it after I read the one Autumn gave me - "Reading Lolita In Tehran." We have so many blessings - I count being able to communicate easily as one of the great ones. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your description of this book very interesting also. Sort of a "spirit is willing but the flesh is weak" moment. Will have to check it out.
    BTW "Reading Lolita in Tehran" was a book that I also found very compelling. I then recommended it to my girls as it has insightful description of the loss of freedom, particularly for females.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. Perhaps I will add your recommended book to my ever growing list of books that I want to read.

    ReplyDelete