Monday, January 4, 2010

How cold is cold.

The other day, I had a coworker tell me that once it is below 20 degrees, it all feels the same.

That is easy to say until you have to go out in negative weather! Things can get colder, and no matter what someone tells me, I say that I can tell the difference.

I still remember the night I had to change a flat tire at minus 40. The air was still and heavy. My breath formed its own clouds of frost. My fingers began to feel separate from my body other than the sting they gave me and my (diminished) ability to control them. My nose began to rebel against its job as air warmer and lung protector. My toes began to tell all the other parts to quit complaining since at least they were still getting some blood flow. I was grateful to get the job done and get on my way.

I am sure several points could be made out of the above, but for now, I will just quote this very practical one my wife recently emphasized, "Promise me we will get to live somewhere warm someday, or at least be Snowbirds."

4 comments:

  1. That's a great description of cold. You know, I never realized how good you are at expressing yourself. You're a very good writer. Have you read RC's post "I Smoke" yet? I'll be anxious to know what you think of it. It was nice talking to you last night. We miss you at the family gatherings - well, we just plain miss you. What is the html code for writing in italics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. About your tire change, I just say, "Ouch."

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just got above freezing today for the first time this year. Buckeye Country welcomed us back from an atypical White Christmas in Cowboy Country with a lot more snow than those Texans will ever see and much much colder temps. No negatives, though. Having grown up in Phoenix, however, it always astounds me each winter when I hear myself say, "I'm so glad it's back up in the thirties." I know it's really bad when I'm glad it's in the twenties. I'm not a winter fan, but I've been handling it fairly well this time around. And I'm sure it's not as bad here as it is where you are! Good luck with the winter. Let us know whenever you're out our way!

    ReplyDelete