Thursday, February 4, 2010

It's cold out there today..It's cold out there every day.

The other day was Groundhog Day. If the day is notable to me, it is less for animal weather prediction than as a reminder of a movie I truly enjoy. Yes, the movie Groundhog Day. My wife even reminds me that we need to watch it that day, as it has become somewhat of a tradition.

This year found me falling asleep before it was complete. But even without a full viewing, just having the day come reminds me of many of the, shall I say, morals to be taken from this story. Because the film is thought provoking, above its humor, it bears repeated viewing (though I still laugh every time).

Among the points I find in it, are the pitfalls of self-centeredness, yet paradoxically the benefits of personal growth and development. The need to connect with, care for, and serve our neighbors. The folly of seeking happiness and contentment in chasing pleasure, being inauthentic and manipulative. The importance of bringing out the best in others, and being your best self. Blooming where you are planted.

I am starting to sound cliche, yet I don't want to extend into any lengthy analysis. I always enjoyed more the reading of books than the belabored, often postured and amateur, analysis of them in English class. Maybe it was just the manner of that setting (though it wasn't uniformly unpleasant), for I do love to talk about ideas and to discuss meaning. Regardless, I don't feel up to extended exposition on the movie right now - maybe later. I need to go to sleep so the clock-radio doesn't find me groggy tomorrow.

("What if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today.")

4 comments:

  1. I love this post, Todd. And I love Groundhog Day, the movie. I can watch it over and over, sort of like life imitating art. That is a great quote (in parantheses). I'm going to google it now to see who said it. Later, Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's from the movie. I guess I haven't watched over and over enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Six more weeks of winter! Poor you. I was glad that they didn't use animatronic groundhog at the ceremony as recommended by PETA.
    I was interested in the conversation we had with your father this week about this same movie. Very philosphical analysis with deeply religious meaning. I am sure you have discussed it together.
    We must get a copy of the movie.
    Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments. I do think this film is one of the most philosophical movies I have seen. For instance, how about choices/actions without consequences, except the effect on your character and spirit. And of course the advice, "Don't drive angry";)

    ReplyDelete