Saturday, February 27, 2010

Build as for years.

We have been doing some projects in our house for the past year. This follows the pattern we set in our previous homes. I suppose this stems from the need for improvements, which, at least at the first part of each project, is spurred on by the enjoyment of doing them.

In both our two previous homes, we felt we could be there for years. In this home, we fully plan to move away. And so, in deciding on projects to do here, we must judge what makes sense to do based on the fact we plan on leaving. One approach would be just to do the minimum that makes things livable. Yet, we still have done some substantial work - new bedrooms for our children, bathrooms, etc. on the list we have done, and have a list of more to do (a list that seems to grow by itself). We are tempering our approach (and keeping a budget), but are doing more than just the minimum.

I think a large part of this comes from wanting to make this a home now. We have made this feel like home, have made some changes that have function, and that make this space our own.

A thought from scripture stays in my mind: build as for years. To me, this has implications for making a good physical home now, to build in a way that lasts. Moreover, do everything in a way that would last, most importantly in relationships with people.

Well, hope that's not too much intro for saying my son and I finished his closet door tonight. He used his own screwdriver on the doorknob.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the visual I'm getting of Ethan working away on that closet.

    It's always good to build (anything) as if you wanted it to last - marriage, edifices, education, friendships.

    Thanks for the reference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH Todd, that last paragraph was such a kicker! ANd he used his own screwdriver! Such a better way than saying, "My son helped me fix the door, and we have a good relationship..." First, you had me thinking about renovations and how much I like new cabinets and counters, and the things I want to renovate... then ... BOOM! Renovating relationships is the most important thing to work on. Great message, great style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recall your boy getting his own tool belt when he was really young and trying to help with the closet on the Center Street house. You are a good man and a good father.
    Nice writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks All for reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete